27 June, 2013

{this memory} 83

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

Well, you don't see pants like that anymore! - unless you're on a golf course, maybe. This photo was taken on June 9, 1973. How do I remember the day so precisely, you ask? In a word, Secretariat.

I was attending a good friend's wedding in Virginia, and the photo was taken after the outdoor reception. At some point we all - well, many of us - gathered in front of a television to watch the Belmont Stakes. What we saw, of course, was historic as Secretariat completed the Triple Crown and won the race by an amazing 31 lengths. His times in all three races are records that still stand today, and he is easily rated as one of the greatest thoroughbreds of all time.

Anyway, back to the dude, dude. In my defense, it was the early 70s, and I was very much 24-year-old product of the 60s. I no longer have those pants. Or the jacket. I think the tie my have been in the bottom of my closet until a few years ago when I made a massive clothing donation to a local charity. No moustache today, but the hair isn't much different - except for all that brown stuff. I don't have very much brown any more.

One thing has never changed. That would be my desire for peace.

I am filled with wonderful memories and consider myself a fortunate man.
TGB