27 March, 2013

Dependencies

In Deep Space Nine "Jadzia Dax is a joined Trill. Though she appears to be a young woman, Jadzia lives in symbiosis with a wise and long-lived creature, known as a symbiont, named Dax. The two share a single, conscious mind, and her personality is a blending of the characteristics of both the host and the symbiont."

I'm not sure why this popped into awareness, but I am reminded of a brief relationship I had a couple of decades ago. No, it was not with a symbiont.

I was in Italy on college business, exploring the possibility of a relationship between Utica College and the University of Chieti. Nothing came of it, but we were well received and had a robust discussion.

My Italian is minimal, so I had been assigned a simultaneous translator for the day. Wherever I went, there she was - always hovering near my shoulder where she would whisper into my ear, in English, all that had been said in Italian - and as it was being said. What a remarkable skill!

I was then and I remain amazed at the dependency that developed, that I felt for her. It was as if the two of us had become one, and your dialogue through a translator became as perfectly natural as if I were the one speaking Italian.

I loved it. It was like great sex - where you're given just what you need at the exact moment you need it. Wow! No wonder the memory of that experience has remained with me for over 20 years.

Have any of you had similar experiences?
TGB