14 December, 2012

The Inspired Writes Back

Ahhhh. How nice it is to be recognized. My blogging buddy, Janine, has bestowed upon me the Inspiring Blog Award. That's very kind of her. The problem with these awards, of course, is you have to try to live up to them. Well, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

The award comes with conditions. I'm asked to share seven of my favorite phrases, reveal seven little known facts about me, and to pay homage to seven bloggers who inspire me.

I'm barely out of the gate, and I'm tweaking things a bit. Below are seven quotes from which I receive inspiration.

1. "I have worn the honors of Honor, I graduated from Virginia" - James Hay Jr.

2. "There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mohandas K. Gandhi

3. "How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then to rest afterward." - Spanish Proverb

4. "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

The others are all from from Thomas Jefferson.

5. "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

6. I am "not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it."

7. "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God."

8. "I cannot live without books."

Yeah, I know, but it's hard to be selective, and now for seven little known facts about me:

1. Faced with a choice between a gourmet dinner and a perfect cheeseburger, I'm likely to take the burger. I wouldn't say I'm on a quest for the perfect burger, but I haven't found it yet anyway. I hope I don't; the fun is in the journey. I even wrote an essay about it in high school, about the perfect burger's replacement by fast food.

2. I can't stand cold weather, yet I went to graduate school in Maine and live in upstate New York.

3. Related to #2, I'd prefer to have my toes in the water and my ass in the sand.

4. I can't go to the movies without buying popcorn and a soda.

5. I'll retire after three more semesters. Eager.

6. I like big books,

7. and I cannot lie.

And for the seven fellow bloggers who inspire me and whom I am nominating:

1. Janine Ripper (right back at you)

2. Claire Verner (you are simply amazing)

3. Megan Rorie (she inspired me to start blogging)

4. Cath Tittle (when I grow up, I want to be like her)

5. Marie Nikodem Loerzel (she always finds the humor in life AND she can do an upside-down Jesus)

6. Muriel Jacques  (love your stories of life in London and your willingness to be different)

7. Stuart Nager (a much admired fluency in story writing)

Phew.

TGB