29 November, 2012

{this memory} 67

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

Oh my, where to begin. First, let me assure you there were no psychotropic substances involved here - in spite of the psychedelic appearance. It does relate to the sixties in way though. That was when I bought a pair of rose colored prism glasses. You can see a picture of them in Hippie Feat.

I placed the glasses in front of my camera as it lay on my desk at work, and I photographed the row of figures on my window sill. This image shows only three or four of the dozen or so that are there. Freud had a similar penchant.

On the left, perhaps you can make out The Argonath, also known as The Gates of Argonath. It is a monument comprising two enormous statues standing upon either side of the River Anduin and marked the northern border of Gondor.

In the middle is a carved soapstone figure my daughter bought for me in Cuzco. We have never been certain what god it represented.

On the right is the goddess Selket from the canopic shrine in the tomb of the pharaoh Tutankhamun.

So what is the wonderful memory? Well ... I think most fondly of my undergraduate days, which is when I purchased the glasses, and I reminisce about the wonderful students I've encountered over the 38 years I have worked at this desk.

I have many wonderful memories, and I remain a most fortunate man.
TGB