17 May, 2012

{this memory} 51

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

You're in Central New York. To be precise, you're looking at my bed post - at least for the last 20 years or so that we've had this bed frame.

Are there memories? Oh, my! But that's not really why I posted this image. It's really about the talismans you see hanging on that bed post.

There is a University of Virginia dog collar. It belonged to Tocco, our black Lab from 1989 to 2001. By the way, that's pronounced 'Toe Ko' - a small town in Abruzzo we had visited that year, and we still have friends in that area. I have many happy memories of Tocco and one more painful one of the last time we were together. C'est la vie.

There is the dreamcatcher I purchased on a Native American reservation in New Mexico. It's a small one, but since hanging it there, I have had no nightmares. They were originally used as charms to protect sleeping children from nightmares. C'est la force majeure.

And then there is Kermit. What can I say? Doesn't everyone want to sleep with a Muppet close by? C'est la joie de vivre.

If you see in this image symbols of love and spirituality and playfulness, then this picture is a symbol of me as well. N'est-ce pas?

So many wonderful memories - I am a fortunate man.
TGB