07 March, 2012

The Mighty Finn

But when Finn Fortissimo gets here everybody's gonna jump for joy.
Come all without, come all within.
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Finn.

Okay - you're thinking, "What?!" Well, yeah. Those aren't really the lyrics, but they ought to be.

Last month one of my daughters gave me a grandson, my first grandchild. Two ears, one nose, ten fingers, ten toes. His name is Finn. Actually it's Finn Thomas, I say with a measure of pride. Of course, now I have to live up to his expectations, and I'll try my best to do so.

My quandary is that I want to write an amazing post to describe this experience, to describe what I'm feeling, but I just can't find the words. Yet at the same time, I want to commemorate his arrival. I've learned though not to press too hard to write. When the time is right, the words pretty much write themselves, and I suspect this is one of those times. Later when I've had a chance to hold him, the words will surely flow.

I've also learned that I tend to hide my feelings when they are most intense. I'm not sure why - perhaps to guard them from others' intrusions, but I suspect that applies to my written words as well. Let me add though "who knew my battered heart could hold so much love?!"

For now, just know I am thrilled and wonderfully eager to hold my grandson, the mighty Finn.

I am a fortunate man.
TGB