18 August, 2011

{this memory} 13

Every photo has a story behind it, at least a small one, and that is what we have here. Indeed, very small. What you see is the sundial and wabe in my backyard.

      Jabberwocky

      'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
      All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.


If you are one of my readers, you are aware that I scatter about my life any manner of symbol and talisman. That is what we have here - large symbol, small story.

The title of this blog is obviously a play on the Carroll's words in Jabberwocky - 'gyre' meaning a circular or spiral motion and 'gambol' meaning frolic or skip about playfully.

The wabe is "'The grass plot around a sundial,' called a 'wa-be' because it goes a long way before it, and a long way behind it." My sundial is a reminder to keep joy (gyre and gambol) in life.

It's also about time. In Secret of Life, James Taylor sings "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time. Any fool can do it. There ain't nothing to it. Nobody knows how we got to the top of the hill, but since we're on our way down, we might as well enjoy the ride."

I use the first line of that in my Author's About Me on the right. It makes sense to me, but we all need reminders from time to time. So there you have it. This photo simply reminds me of my wonderful talisman and how I wish to live my life.

No mimsy. No bandersnatch. Just beamish.
TGB

No comments:

Post a Comment