10 August, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me

There is much in life easily taken for granted, and it's not difficult to overlook the bounty I have been given. Today is my birthday though and a good day to count blessings. They are many - not the least of which is that I am alive, no small miracle having survived several illnesses that so many do not.

Much of what follows I wrote last year, but it's good to re-read it every so often. It's a affirmation for me as well as a reminder of those things for which I should be thankful.

I am thankful for the little things in life - music and lighthouses,
art and literature, swings and laughter.

I am thankful for the everyday beauty of nature - the seasons,
the azure sky, the starry night, the boundless oceans,
the warmth of the sun on my face,
the sounds of birds, the caress of a breeze.

I am thankful for the blessings of friends - old friends embraced anew
or newer friends willing to nourish this aging soul.

I am thankful for the comfort of family - a loving wife
and two wonderful daughters,
a mother, a brother, an extended family of cousins and others
- all of whom love me as much as I love them.

I am thankful for the ability to work in spite of physical challenges - blessed with a good mind and a superlative education
that allowed me a career in the world of ideas
rather than one of vigorous toil.

I am thankful for the warmth of my home - a peaceful haven
and shelter from all manner of storm.

I am thankful for the food on my table
and especially thankful
when that involves
cheese or olives or bread.

And wine.
Really.

TGB


For my fellow Leos - if you were to receive only a fraction
of what I have been given, you would be most fortunate.
My birthday wish for you is happiness equal to my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment